Denim is just about as easy as it gets. Not only does the age-old fabric go with literally everything in your closet, but it never goes out of style. And in a world where fast fashion reigns supreme, this is incredibly comforting (for both your sanity and your wallet). To give your jeans an of-the-moment feel, chic shoes are key. And for us, that means a fabulous pair (or two or three) of boots come fall. Sure, the combo isn’t revolutionary. But it is one that will see you through all sorts of sartorial situations. Wondering which steppers to rock with which styles? We’ve got you covered. From flares to jegging and cropped varieties, here are eight ways to get it right all season long.
1. Madewell Skinny Skinny Jeans ($135) + Jeffrey Campbell Caspian Lace-Up Boot ($230): Skinny jeans are crazy versatile and will work with just about any pair of stylish steppers. But one combo that we really dig is the slim-fit style with lace-up boots. When temps start to drop, layer on a wooly sock and let them peek ever-so-slightly over the top.
2. H&M Flare Jeans ($30) + ASOS End It On This Ankle Boots ($81): We love a side of height with our flares. Why? Because a boost will let those ’70s staples flow freely, meaning no bunching at the ankles, which, trust us, is HUGE. To play up your pants’ throwback vibe, pair ‘em up with red hot python kicks.
3. AG Jeans Prima Cigarette Jeans ($168) + Bronx Brushed Leather Pewter Pointed Toe Ankle Boots ($170): Low-riding ankle boots with exaggerated pointed toes makes for a chic, modern look when paired up with a slim-fit cigarette silhouette. Rock a flirty feminine blouse on top for a bit of cool contrast, or go all-out androgynous with an oversized button-down and boxy jacket.
4. Levis 501 Jeans for Women ($88) + ASOS Rave Time 60s Chelsea Ankle Boots ($58): Add a little sass to that tried-and-true boyfriend set with ankle boots that pack a punch. Playful patterns take the look between fashion-forward and casually cool.
5. 7 for All Mankind Culottes ($225) + ASOS Envious of You Pointed Chelsea Ankle Boots ($81): Culottes are the type of bottom that just begs for a killer heel (although we’re also a fan of the flatform). A chunky heel will deliver a more throwback appeal, while a sassy stiletto just screams chic.
6. Rag & Bone Wide Leg Jean ($220) + Kelsi Dagger Ubel Chelsea Boots ($175): For a super flattering look, pair wide leg jeans with a platform shoe to create that whole legs-for-days illusion.
7. River Island Grey Molly Jeggings ($80) + Zara Tall Heeled Leather Boot ($160): Over-the-knee styles and jeggings are a match made in sartorial heaven. Bunching, lumps and all-around awkwardness aren’t an issue.
8. Mango Cropped Relaxed Jeans ($90) + Charles & Keith Textured Chelsea Boots ($80): Balance out the boyish vibes of distressed cropped jeans with a polished pair of booties in a seasonally inspired hue. Bonus points for sleek metallic accents.
What’s your go-to jean-and-boot combo? Tell us in the comments!